Are The Roth Army Moderators doing their job?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flappo
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

i stand corrected

Comment

• Susie Q
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

I was once told something that really rings true.

When a company gets imitated it should be looked as flattery. It should be looked at as "we are on top of our game".

The Army has been imitated, and we are flattered.

This site, that site, their site, our site....

In the end it don't matter. There is enough sites to go around for everyone involved.

'nuff said, no?

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
      ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

What does it cost to upgrade the software?

Can we do a pledge drive to purchase it?

Do webbies other than Sarge have the capability to upgrade it once it is purchased?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I don't believe they do...

But the vbulletin isn't that expensive I think (couple $100 or so)...

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

We need answers and we need them pronto.

Should be no problem garnering the funds.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
              Do webbies other than Sarge have the capability to upgrade it once it is purchased?
              I hope so, they could at least let their #2 take care of it:

Originally posted by hitch1969©
              where's sarge?

where's pojo?

where's icon?

hell, where's Mezro™?

of course I have the know how, steve. Thats a simple upgrade followed by some customization tweaking all within the same brand software.

Does you know that about the time the DUMP at the army became THE Hitchworld Dump... oh yes, How I like the look of that:

anyway,.. what this stemmed from was at the time, Sarge and I were looking at cross upgrading THIS site from ikonboard to vbb and importing all the threads (which can be done) and then tweaking it out like the hitchworld dump is now over at the army.

So I was a little hesitant with my vision of retardedness here and all, so THAT is why you have the hitchworld dump as it is today - Sarge did that as a prototype to show me what THIS site would look like.

It might have happened had the Sarge not been blown up by insurgents in iraq. God rest him.

I like that the hitchworld dump is there - its like on Classic Trek with all the constitution class ships look pretty much the same but say in a couple of those eps when the Enterprise is right next to Commodore Decker's ship with slightly different insignia...

anyway steve.
              sigpic

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Who is hitch1969?
                sigpic

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2003

Who is hitch1969?
                  hitch1969 is the Franchise Player of the David Lee Roth Army! If you think you matter.. you don\'t. If you think you are important.. think again. hitch1969 is the star of this show. He is the motherfuckin Jordan of these forums and dont you ever forget it!
                  "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Does hitch1969 deserve a sticky?
                    sigpic

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2003

Does hitch1969 deserve a sticky?
                      sticky this bitch immediately or YOU ARE FIRED! Show the brilliant hitch1969 the respect that member number 2 deserves.
                      "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Did your farm animal sounds See-n-Say go on the blink today Steve?
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Dan
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                          What does it cost to upgrade the software?

Can we do a pledge drive to purchase it?

I'm Sure The Army Will Come Up With The Funds.
                          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• conmee
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Mar 2003

Not sure what plate Sesh wants us to step up to.... the ban a bunch of motherfuckers plate? the give the mods (without the benefit of IQ test results) power to fuck with each others' and general population's posts throughout the site plate? give mods root access to the goddam server so we can have an accidental database dump or vbulletin upgrade gone awry kinda plate?

Just not sure what plate I or Pojo or Brownsound should step up to... or Sarge for that matter... More motherfuckers would cry bloody hell if I turned off the dumbass signature w/pics feature than currently complain about the performance. And even with that feature turned off, server response time won't improve drastically. This site is on a shared Linux cluster and has throttled bandwidth and CPU/Memory/Disk resources. The only real way to improve speed, is to pay alot more for a dedicated high-end service AND prune/archive anything older than 2 years. Problem is people will scream bloody murder for that too, if they can't occasionally peruse their online life histories...

When Sarge is available, I generally make performance related suggestions... but in the past, he's never been one to OK pruning 12,000 inactive aliases for example, or pruning 5 years of old shit no one really reads anymore.... each day the db gets bigger and bigger, and with the tour, we continue to get new recruits.... and the monthly hosting bill stays constant. Something has to give, and as far as upgrading vBulletin... to get any benefit out of it, we'd have to prune/reindex the goddam database to improve perfomance on the same hardware.

Bottom line? vBulletin upgrade alone will improve performance maybe 5%. upgrading the hosting hardware/platform will improve performance maybe 25%. pruning old aliases and posts older than 2 years will improve performance probably 50% or better. If we do all of the above, we'd probably double the speed i.e. 100% faster.

In any event, we'd need A) Sarge's approval to prune and/or upgrade service B) Funding to support the upgrade. Incidentally, A is probably more elusive than B.

So there's the plate. I stepped up. But there's no pitcher, no catcher, no ump. So all I can do is swing at empty space right now...

That is all.

Icon.
                            An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                            hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Some good insight there Mr Icon,

My questions,

How much extra bandwidth is sucked up by the continual
                              refreshing everyone has to do every second post.
                              (When hit by the white screen of death ? )

Those refreshes send out a new Http Request
                              each time... So perhaps the 5% performance
                              increase of a Vbulletin upgrade would dramatically
                              decrease the amount of Http requests our hosting
                              servers have to respond to ?? Im thinking by 50%

Thats gotta equate to better than 5% improvement,
                              in real or relative terms... Whichever you prefer...

As for Sesh's comments, I know people such as
                              your good self, conmee, have had to do more, than
                              when Sarge was here... So you have already stepped
                              up to the plate out of sheer necessity.

My .02 cents...

Upgrade Vbulletin, archive and compress the older
                              than 2 years shit on a hard disk somewhere, incorporate
                              a request mechanism to retrieve old threads,
                              index the threads so people can still look up the titles, etc
                              but dont hold the fat that sits there that nobody reads...

I cant see anyone being pissed off with the above.

Ah, I love these project management meetings !
                              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• flappo
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                'Our site' 'your site'

What the fuck are you talking about?
                                i know you're drunk most of the time , but for once try and get a tad coherent , you old virgo poof

the site you're webbie /admin on is YOURS ( ddlr )

and this site ( the one you can't ban us from but would love to ) is ours

capiche ?

back to the scotch , scotch

Comment

Working...