X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    How many Hendrix albums have been released posthumously? The number has to be well over 300.
    You and Terry were way off... Hendrix only had 808 releases.

165 albums, 172 singles/EPs, 390 compilations, 54 videos, 27 misc.

Not bad for a guy who only released 7 albums officially from 67-70...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      For some reason Ed always wanted more gain.
      I heard a theory that this was because he had lost a lot of his upper hearing range as he got older.

Producers usually hate lots of gain when recording but guitarists like to hide behind it. Maybe when Ed only had yes men after Ted T no one dared tell him to pull it back.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Ed liked the high gain because it was easier to play and get all the subtle stuff he was doing to come through. Ed always liked a responsive amp. As far as compensating for high frequency hearing loss. That’s probably true. The 5150 is basically a Soldano with some different voicing and a clean channel. People like them for metal.

I like single volume amps myself. I play through a FUCHS Train 45. No hiding behind anything with those amps.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I think if I was going to buy an amp in the EVH 5150 price range that could do the classic VH thing well but also be a all around great amp including a good Fenderish clean channel it would be a Friedman Runt 50. It’s better built than a 5150 and does all the classic stuff better. If you want ultra high gain you will have to use a metal pedal of some kind.

I picked up a Runt 20 because I got a killer price on one. Great little lightweight practice amp with a good line out and FX loop. You get more features and more headroom with the 50 watt.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I like the EVH cabs. Well built and the price is reasonable for what you are getting. MojoTone cabs are great for the money as well.

Comment

• nick500
              Groupie
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              Ed liked the high gain because it was easier to play and get all the subtle stuff he was doing to come through. Ed always liked a responsive amp. As far as compensating for high frequency hearing loss. That’s probably true. The 5150 is basically a Soldano with some different voicing and a clean channel. People like them for metal.

I like single volume amps myself. I play through a FUCHS Train 45. No hiding behind anything with those amps.
              Did Ed use the Soldano SlO for a large part of the Hagar Unlawful Carnal Knowledge record or just on a track or two?
              Interesting article here:
              Understanding Eddie Van Halen’s use of the Soldano SLO-100 amp.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by nick500
                Did Ed use the Soldano SlO for a large part of the Hagar Unlawful Carnal Knowledge record or just on a track or two?
                Interesting article here:
                https://projectevh.com/2015/09/23/soldano-slo-100/
                He used a Soldano and he also used a preamp Bob Bradshaw built. Ed used a Soldano at the Cabo Wabo opening as well. I guess higher gain complimented Sammy’s screaming better.

That era is all pajamas, baby oil and butt plugs. I feel I need to take a shower every time I hear Van Hagar.

Comment

Working...