X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrMeanstreet
    Full On Cocktard
    • May 2022

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    What's the finish on a 70's Ibanez explorer? Nitrocellulose or polyurethane?
    Neither

Its an amber colored epoxy finish. Very prone to chipping.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

What year is it? $100 is a heck of a good deal on any guitar that plays decent.
      It's Korean from 2001. It was like a Craigs List thing where I met the kid at a train station. I was so sure about the deal I actually didn't even think to open the case until I was a few minutes walk away.

It's totally playable and fine but obviously I have some better guitars. I've been thinking about sticking a spare Di Marzio Tone Zone pickup I have (drunk Ebay purchase when I needed an 'F' Spaced one) in it but that seems weird as it cost about as much as the guitar.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Although I guess in a way they may seem a bit 'out there' the body shape of Explorers and Destroyers are actually totally practical and arguably better than say a Les Paul so I have been thinking for a while about getting a good one.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by MrMeanstreet
          I paid $1200.00
          Over 10 years ago
          I think you've done well with that as an investment...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            It's Korean from 2001. It was like a Craigs List thing where I met the kid at a train station. I was so sure about the deal I actually didn't even think to open the case until I was a few minutes walk away.

It's totally playable and fine but obviously I have some better guitars. I've been thinking about sticking a spare Di Marzio Tone Zone pickup I have (drunk Ebay purchase when I needed an 'F' Spaced one) in it but that seems weird as it cost about as much as the guitar.
            My experience with Korean made guitars has been good. Most of them are built by Sammick which is a ghost builder for various brands. If it sounds good unplugged then it’s going to sound good with a decent pickup. If the truss rod works, there is no neck warping and the frets are profiled decent you can make it play decent. $100 doesn’t even buy firewood these days.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I actually bought a Heritage with a back bowed neck for a pretty good price. I just loosened the truss rod nut to where it was putting no presser on the neck. I threw some 11 gauge strings on it and tuned it to A 440. Put a humidifier in the case and a month later the neck was fine. My gamble paid off. Really nice playing guitar now. I keep 10 gauge strings on it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Although I guess in a way they may seem a bit 'out there' the body shape of Explorers and Destroyers are actually totally practical and arguably better than say a Les Paul so I have been thinking for a while about getting a good one.
                Think about how out there that body shape was in 1957? Both V’s and explorers sound great. Eddie used a 50’s V for Hot For Teacher and a Ibanez Destroyer was used for many of his early recordings. My theory is you get more resonance from those points on the body. Explorers are well balanced and easy to play. They have great necks. They were popular in the 70’s because you could play fast on them and they sounded great through a cranked amp. Playing high up on the neck was no problem. Super Strats really hadn’t developed yet. Les Pauls were very heavy and not great for fast guitar work high up on the fretboard.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

The case my Gibson Explorer goes in is the size of a card table. It’s huge!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by MrMeanstreet
                    Neither

Its an amber colored epoxy finish. Very prone to chipping.
                    I had a Ibanez Roadstar with a flamed maple top in cherry burst. This was early 80’s. I was tuning it with a pitch pipe (remember those days?). The pitch pipe fell out of my mouth, hit the top of the guitar body and cracked the finish like it was glass. I was pissed. It must have had an epoxy finish as well. Polyurethane just dents.

Comment

• MrMeanstreet
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • May 2022

I think you've done well with that as an investment...
                      Yep, thinking so

Comment

• MrMeanstreet
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • May 2022

I had a Ibanez Roadstar with a flamed maple top in cherry burst. This was early 80’s. I was tuning it with a pitch pipe (remember those days?). The pitch pipe fell out of my mouth, hit the top of the guitar body and cracked the finish like it was glass. I was pissed. It must have had an epoxy finish as well. Polyurethane just dents.

HaHa! Yep

There you go!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The case my Gibson Explorer goes in is the size of a card table. It’s huge!
                          Yeah Destroyers are much much smaller.

I also have a Schecter Flying V1 Classic which is Korean and a decent guitar. I bought it new reduced from $1200 to $400 in a clearance sale when it was being discontinued. Again it's way smaller than the equivalent Gibson.

When I looked for a picture of it to post here I got one from an advert selling it 6 years ago at the same price I'm boasting about getting it for 11 years ago so maybe I didn't do that well on it after all.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-17-2022, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

I have a Schecter Michael Anthony signature bass. Love it! The neck is great.

Comment

Working...