X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Also even if Hagar had sold more tickets or albums (which they didn't) who gives a shit, it doesn't make his music any better.

Kid Rock's 'Devil Without A Cause' sold 11 million.

Limp Bizkit sold 6 million copies of 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water'
    Yeah, of course I'd agree with that. The thing with Hagar is that he keeps using these bogus 'facts' he invents (inflated record sales, inflated crowd sizes) to perpetuate his "I'm better than David Lee Roth" arguments in interviews.

Even back in 2003 when VH1 was airing that Sam And Dave special about the 2002 tour, Sam was saying things like "David Lee Roth came out of the gutter to do this tour" and "if anything, [Roth] owed me more shows because I got him back in the game" and "wait until next year, because [Dave] will be back where he was last summer" meaning "in the gutter" prior to hooking up with Hagar for that co-headlining tour. Even back then 20 years ago watching that on tv, I was puzzled at the remarks because as far as I knew Hagar hadn't been doing any headlining gigs after leaving Van Halen to sizable crowds on the strength of his own name...so who the fuck was he to criticize the size of the crowds Roth had been playing to prior to that 2002 tour? If anything, that co-headlining tour was mutually beneficial to both Hagar AND Roth.

Another case in point is Hagar trying to contrast his solo endeavors post-1996 to what Roth has been doing since 1996. Hagar says things along the lines of Roth's highest profile stint post-1996 being a Van Halen reunion. Well, what has been Hagar's career highlight since HE left Van Halen? Touring With Roth in 2002, reuniting with Van Halen in 2004 and the book he wrote about it in 2008.

It's just these continuous attempts by Hagar to gaslight the history of Van Halen and his own success as a solo artist which still never fail to irk the fuck out of me. Has nothing to do with the musical content I prefer, but Hagar just can't stop lying about the facts. Even allowing for the probability that Hagar is always being asked about the Van Halen/Roth stuff in every interview (because, really, what else of interest would there even be to ask Hagar about?), after hearing Hagar's bullshit about all of it for literally going on 4 decades...I dunno. I guess it says more about me at this point that any of it continues to bug me.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      Plant's solo albums are usually well-received by critics. I don't think Hagar's are. Jagger's sure aren't.
      For me, Plant's solo albums had material on them that was compelling even outside of the context of Led Zeppelin, or by way of comparison to Led Zeppelin.

Hagar had a few tracks prior to joining Van Halen that I thought were okay/decent far as average rock went, but nothing which made me think back in '85 when he was announced as the new singer for Van Halen that the choice automatically made sense or was a natural fit considering what the band had been doing with Roth. Hagar was a moderately successful solo artist prior to 1985. Prior to that, Hagar had been in Montrose, and by 1985 few people were talking about Montrose and that band's debut album of 12 years prior was getting zero airplay. Hagar was neither a Plant nor a Jagger outside of his self-aggrandizing delusions.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Random blog with VH sales numbers broken down

VAN HALEN US ALBUM SALES – RIAA CERTIFICATION DATES The Studio Albums VAN HALEN I – Over 10 Million Copies Sold RELEASED: FEBRUARY 10, 1978 VAN HALEN I – Certification Dates: 10x …

I've seen blurbs that Marching To Mars sold 350,000 copies. Coming out of one of the biggest bands and that's the best he could do.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'd like to see VH1 sales by year. I think it's possible it sold more copies in 1984/85 than it did 1978/79.

Comment

• Silexxx
            Head Fluffer
            • Sep 2010

In the same interview Sammy also claimed that it was Eddie who didn't want to play CVH when Hag was in the band.

"On the first tour, we did 'You Really Got Me'... and we did [Hagar's solo song] 'There's Only One Way to Rock,' and we just did the whole first 5150 record. Then for an encore, we would play 'Jump,' but I would pull somebody out of the audience to sing it. I was an asshole, honestly. Guilty as charged," Hagar admitted.

"I didn't want to sing the songs because I thought 'Jump' was a silly song. I didn't like the lyrics and I had a hard time standing up there going, 'Can't you see me standing here / I got my back against the record machine / You know what I mean?'," the singer elaborated. "I had a hard time with it. I came from Montrose."

Hagar noted that although he didn't like the lyrics in "Jump," he really liked a lot of other material from Van Halen's catalog with Roth, especially songs such as "Unchained," "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Runnin' With the Devil."

"Later on, I started getting a little bit more user-friendly, but then we had more albums so we didn't need it," he continued. "Eddie [Van Halen] was the one that didn't want to play the catalog."

Comment

• Silexxx
              Head Fluffer
              • Sep 2010

"I came from Montrose"

Also funny how he disses the lyrics of Jump like he's some sort of lyrical wizard. The mind that gave us Wham bam Amsterdam and Source of Infection.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

What an asshat.

Eddie didn't want to play the catalog?? Um no. Sam didn't and it was also a business decision. For every CVH song, they'd have to play a Hagar song. That was their agreement. Truth be told it was Eddie who didn't want to play Sam's material not his own from CVH.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I remember when Sam would crawl up into the lighting truss and hang out over the stage. Oh how I hoped he would fall. I wish I was a rigger then. I would be smearing grease on anything Sam might stand on or hold onto.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Had a hard time with Jump, but peppers his songs with "woo," "yeah," "baby," and "hey!"

What an idiot.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx

"I came from Montrose"

Also funny how he disses the lyrics of Jump like he's some sort of lyrical wizard. The mind that gave us Wham bam Amsterdam and Source of Infection.
                      And Bad Motor Scooter ruining an otherwise great riff...

That video makes me laugh and get a bit nauseous at the same time as Sam was going through his "lets rip off Billy Squier" phase...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I really wanna see the host come back on after the song and say "BTW, this will also be the last performance of Sammy Hagar on the Midnight Special"...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Dave is most likely aware Sam has been ripping him at every opportunity.

But probably laughs it off as he knows he lives in Sam's head rent free.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I have to say I've been looking at the reader comments to a lot of the articles reporting Hagar's recent bitchin and a large majority are pro Dave.

Your average person who liked Van Halen seems to have had enough of it. Not all but many many people are saying 'Why are you still shit talking about stuff that is now 20+ years ago?'.

It's pathetic how no music journalist ever calls him out on anything. Or anyone else really if you think about it. Seems like they are all so desperate for access they never write or ask anything of interest.

The last time I read a 'physical' music magazine was on a train last year and I realized that something like 18/20 of the albums reviewed had been given 5/5 stars. It's pathetic.
                            Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-01-2023, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Magazines such as that are doubtless in cahoots with the 'record companies' or content producers re: 5-star reviews. You ain't gonna get a modern-day Lester Bangs in such a magazine giving an honest critique that could result in people opting on the basis of it not buying the content.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                I have to say I've been looking at the reader comments to a lot of the articles reporting Hagar's recent bitchin and a large majority are pro Dave.

Your average person who liked Van Halen seems to have had enough of it. Not all but many many people are saying 'Why are you still shit talking about stuff that is now 20+ years ago?'.
                                The people defending Sam say "well, he's asked those questions, he doesn't bring VH up." Sometimes Sam will bring VH up unprovoked. It would be nice to see Sam not take those questions any more, "I'm here to promote (whatever) and let's talk about that." But we know he can't take the high road and STFU.

Comment

Working...