X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Buddy Guy - 1967

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KY66HPcRoA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KY66HPcRoA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I know guy has been around for years. Since seeing him play live I've been searching and collecting most of his stuff that he has recorded. His version of Lowell Fulson's 'Tramp' is brilliant. Even when he plays it live do you ever hear so much controlled reverb that...that...I have no idea how he pulls it off.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Check out this 1965 clip...

Out of Sight - James Brown song

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XPRStX0icYo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x94 61ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XPRStX0icYo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x94 61ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

I discovered new YouTube features...

Comment

• Sarge
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Hendrix is timeless.
            EVH has made his mark as well.
            ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
            The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
            [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cato
              are you serious?

can't help...I hate that fat fuck of a poser...deeply...
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                Sniper
                • Apr 2004

Well, i know it was wrote somewhere that Hendrix was quoted as saying that above all other players he thought Billy Gibbons was the ultimate guitarist.

If you think about it, Ed really wasn't dissing Hendrix, but honestly stating simple facts. They are two of the greatest guitar players to ever live and at the same time nothing alike.

Ed, i would say plays more in line with Clapton and Gibbons. If you sit back and listen to Billy, his use of pitch harmonics and the way he played rhythm guitar with that heavy tone seems more like an influence even before Ed hit the national scene.

I have nothing but good things to say about Hendrix. He could play something totally wrong for a particular song and bend a note until he made it work.

Ed, just seems like he makes the guitar do whatever he wants and in those early years seemed god like.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
                  Well, i know it was wrote somewhere that Hendrix was quoted as saying that above all other players he thought Billy Gibbons was the ultimate guitarist.
                  Pretty much, yep...

"Billy was considered by Jimi Hendrix to be one of the Top Guitarists around he even once said that Billy Gibbons was America's Best guitarist . Jimi actually gave Billy his Pink Strat . Billy fondly recalled the moment with the guitar legend .

"I was in the motel one night practicing in my room and this dude stuck his head in the door and said, 'Hey-y man, I thought I heard something going on in here.' It was Jimi Hendrix. I was speechless. I couldn't move. He took my guitar away and lay down across the bed with his head dangling towards the floor, looking at the ceiling. He'd run off this incredible line and then look up at me and said, (in Hendrix space-drawl tones) 'Say, man, c'n you do that?' Then he'd laugh and play some more. After that he started teaching me. I learned a lot from him.""

I would say that's a definate connection between Edward and Hendrix...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express

Jack told us Hendrix was a musician first and just liked to jam and he said everyone in those days packed their guitars around and jammed on the fly anywhere. He said it was a fun time.
                    Jimi kicking it with The Stones backstage at Madison Square Garden, November 1969

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rqqaw9iN0Js&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rqqaw9iN0Js&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Onofrio
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Feb 2004

The argument of "who's better" in music is always a ridiculous one. I like Keith Moon better than Neil Pert. I like Lemmy better than Flea. I like Billy Gibbons better than Clapton. And yes, I like Eddie Van Halen more than Jimi Hendrix, by far. Hell, I like EVH better than anyone! Do I like Jimi? You bet. Love him, guy was fuckin' unbelievable, as evidenced in all the previous youtubes posted in this thread. I watched every one of 'em and they're just fucking sick! But what I don't like is how whenever I state that Eddie is better than Jimi, it's treated as tho I said the earth was flat. I'm fed up with the constant beating of the baby-boomer "fact" that nothing has ever been as good as when they were young. Rock'n'roll was better, Kids were better, Drugs were better. Ah Bullshit! Play On Fire from Tokyo '78 and find me anything that can touch it, that can move me like that can, that can make me run through a wall! and that's without the visual! Jimi was an incredible showman, it's a big part of what made his live show so fantastic, but so is Eddie, just as exciting to the eyes as to the ears. (and don't forget that DLR was sharing the same stage).
                      As for changing up the solos every night, listen to all the Atomic Punks from the last tour, just winging the solo, different every time, sometimes drastically different.
                      I do wish Eddie could just take a compliment though, jeez man you're already Eddie Fuckin Van Halen, how much recognition do you need?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        That is so cool that you had the opportunity to meet and learn from Jack. I picked up his DVD a while back, and more than being greatly informative in a non-condescending manner, the fellow (as well as Jorma, who makes a guest appearance) really comes off as a decent, down to Earth sort of fellow.

The DVD features a good booklet with diagrams, and is terrific for the beginner or advanced player alike.

What's funny is I was watching that movie on the Altamont disaster and when I heard Jack's bass playing on The Other Side of This Life it floored me. I thought it was the best bass tone I ever heard. This was before Netscape made the internet what it is today but a few years ago I saw Jack had a website and saw he taught lessons every now and then. I guess it was a seek out the master and learn thing. I learned a tone about right hand technique and tone from Jack and I mean he has played through everything on the planet and has been at it for a half century.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3JvyvgPtN4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3JvyvgPtN4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

But this was the bass tone that floored me and sent me on my journey. LOL!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

You would never know Jack was a hippi or in a San Fransisco psycodelic band. He's as clean cut as they come in pressed shirts and slacks and shined shoes. Jorma also jokes Jack is a major type A neat freak. Both Jack and Jorma have zero egos and consider themselves musicians who got lucky and more than gracious to share what they know whatever level of playing you are at. Very cool people.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I often wonder what Hendrix would be like today if he was still alive. It's kind of amazing how people evolve.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                I often wonder what Hendrix would be like today if he was still alive. It's kind of amazing how people evolve.

Probably touring with The Jonas Brothers as a side show Disney act

Comment

Working...