Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Yeah. Jack Casady played with Hendrix and was good friends with Mitch Mitchel

I took some bass lessons from Jack Casady at the Fur Peace Ranch. In fact everyone I've met from the Jefferson Airplane (Jorma, Jack, Grace) seem to be nice people. What's cool about Jack and Jorma is there is zero ego and they think it's cool you are trying to learn to play. I also took some lessons from GE Smith who is the best guitar teacher.

Jack told us Hendrix was a musician first and just liked to jam and he said everyone in those days packed their guitars around and jammed on the fly anywhere. He said it was a fun time.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

In short. Eddie is a drunk. Add ego and alcohol and you get Edward Lodjewick Van Halen.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

My wife grew up just up the road from where Jimi Hendrix is buried in Renton, Washinton. In fact, my brother in law worked for that cemetery and he told me he could take me to Jimi's grave. This was before the new fancy memorial was built and Jimi just had a small, flat tombstone with a Strat on it. It was rainy and wet and all the grass was off jimi's grave due to all the people visiting it.

What was cool is he took me to see the collection of stuff people left on the grave that the cemetery kept. It was wild. He said sometimes they would catch people having sex on the grave which is creepy.

I doubt Eddie Van Halen will be remember at such insane and creepy levels.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          I'll bet not many of you have heard this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRISB35KiCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRISB35KiCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Who ever said Noel Redding was not that great on bass can kiss my ass...

Noel had some great bass chops. The Experience were a great band all around. Mitch and Noel were the shit.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            I took some bass lessons from Jack Casady at the Fur Peace Ranch. In fact everyone I've met from the Jefferson Airplane (Jorma, Jack, Grace) seem to be nice people. What's cool about Jack and Jorma is there is zero ego and they think it's cool you are trying to learn to play. I also took some lessons from GE Smith who is the best guitar teacher.

Jack told us Hendrix was a musician first and just liked to jam and he said everyone in those days packed their guitars around and jammed on the fly anywhere. He said it was a fun time.
            That is so cool that you had the opportunity to meet and learn from Jack. I picked up his DVD a while back, and more than being greatly informative in a non-condescending manner, the fellow (as well as Jorma, who makes a guest appearance) really comes off as a decent, down to Earth sort of fellow.

The DVD features a good booklet with diagrams, and is terrific for the beginner or advanced player alike.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• indeedido
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

You can't really compare Hendrix to EVH. Hendrix was blues based, electric blues. While EVH has some roots in blues, he is not a traditional blues guitarist, more electric rock. Jimi took the strat and did things no one else did. EVH is standing on his shoulders, everyone that came after Jimi is standing on his shoulders. He brought the Marshall stack to the foreground. He brought the strat to new heights. EVH would be a different player today if not for him. Clapton and Hendrix paved the road for him. Jimi didn't create anything? What a stupid comment to make. Ed is a tool.
              This space for rent.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Yeah, i've read a lot about Hendrix and who he really was...

So many people think he was this dark, marose type character and from what I understand he was the exact opposite...

Jimi was funny. You can tell that from recording session boots...

Jimi made friends with everybody and invited them to the studo which didn't make others too happy, especially Noel Redding who left the group during the making of Electric Lady Land. He came back to finish some of the album but departed again for good. Some of the bass on that album is Jimi...

Jimi had cameras and enjoyed taking pictures...

He had a ton of girlfriends but was always fond of his girlfriend in New York, Lithofayne Pridgeon, or "faye."

He also had a steady girlfriend in London, Kathy Etchingham who later wrote a book about Hendrix...

But Jimi was very social, although shy, but Chas Chandler described him as "the life of the party."

Although I did read when he drank too much he was prone to violent outbursts...

Anyway...

This is one of, if not the first professional recording of Hendrix on a really cool soulful Little Richard song...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NMzX72GOOEQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NMzX72GOOEQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

While Eddie is still a dick, its times when I listen to 'Fair Warning' that reinstates the fact that NO ONE has played anything remotely as close as that masterpiece. Not Hendrix, Page, whoever.

That is not the 'normal way' to play a guitar. That is why it separates Ed from those that came before or after him. Its just so 'way out there'.

But again, no disrespect to Hendrix. He certainly paved the way.

I also agree its mags like Guitar World and even fans that have been feeding Ed with the 'god' talk that it has certainly got to his head. I mean, Eddie's best work was from 78-84, ironically, the Dave years. After that, I guess without Dave giving him a kick in the arse every now and then and coupled with Ed's alcoholism, he got lazy. That left us with Van Hagar.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

I liked Eddie a lot more in the CVH years. You know , the days when he kept his f&*kin trap shut...
                    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by indeedido
                      You can't really compare Hendrix to EVH. Hendrix was blues based, electric blues. While EVH has some roots in blues, he is not a traditional blues guitarist, more electric rock. Jimi took the strat and did things no one else did. EVH is standing on his shoulders, everyone that came after Jimi is standing on his shoulders. He brought the Marshall stack to the foreground. He brought the strat to new heights. EVH would be a different player today if not for him. Clapton and Hendrix paved the road for him. Jimi didn't create anything? What a stupid comment to make. Ed is a tool.
                      Eric Clapton was Edward's main influence and you can hear it if you study both...

The only influence I believe he got from Hendrix was the coolness hendrix posessed, which Edward has long lost...

Even Yngwie said he liked Hendrix for just how cool he made it all appear, but not his guitar playing, although later in Yngwie's career he said he appreciated Jimi's music much more...

And it was Pete Townshend who brought the Marshall Stack to the foreground and it was Pete who turned Jimi onto Marshalls, as Jimi admitted he had no idea what kind of amps to use. And BTW, he often used a combination of Fender and Marshall amps...

And finally, in my opinion, most of Edwards playing, aside from the tired old tapping is all blues based...

Last edited by ELVIS; 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM. Reason: Fuck off!!!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        While Eddie is still a dick, its times when I listen to 'Fair Warning' that reinstates the fact that NO ONE has played anything remotely as close as that masterpiece. Not Hendrix, Page, whoever.

That is not the 'normal way' to play a guitar. That is why it separates Ed from those that came before or after him. Its just so 'way out there'.
                        I agree with that, except I don't like to compare apples to oranges...

But fair Warinig is a masterpiece as is Axis Bold As Love...

What I didn't like at the time was an article I read after the album came out where Ed slags off on Michael Anthony, but he at least said dave did a good job...

I feel Michael's playing on Fair warning is incredible and it wouldn't be the masterpiece it is without him...

Maybe Ed was jealous of Michael for possibly tons of reasons I could get into...

Comment

• Full Bug
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          This is what happens when you have sycophantic guitar magazine writers blowing smoke up your ass from the time you are twenty one...you start to believe the crap foisted upon you. EVH has been slagging other players ever since the beginning of his career, usually in the same manner. He'll start off by saying "I don't wanna come off bad" or "I mean no disrespect" then proceeds to slam other guitarists while simultaneously taking undeserved credit for everything created under the sun.

And the comments are at times utterly baffling. Referring to Page as playing like a child with two broken fingers, claiming Randy Rhodes "did him to the bone", describing Eric Clapton as a better player when he was on drugs, the man insists on demeaning the achievements of others while exaggerating his own importance. And not all of his muddled thinking revolves around the guitar or other players. Who can forget this bit of utter nonsense offered recently...

"...Dave had slightly different ideas than Alex and I did. That led him to pursue a solo career. You know how the press can be. They turned it into a mudslinging thing that really never occurred. At least not to the extent that was reported. Where it actually started, nobody knows. Probably some journalist who took something out of context."

The fact is, in the twee land of Eddie Van Halen, there is always someone else to blame, someone else who did the deed, someone else to be the fall guy. Look at the long list of former close friends, "soul brothers" and music companies that have been up close and personal with the "EVH Experience". More than anything else, this points to a highly disturbing pattern of behavior with the guy that has existed for years, now.

As a fan, I just wish the jerk would simply grow the fuck up, put out some new music and let his work do the talking for him. For one reason or another, there appears to be more honesty in one of his guitar solos than has come out in an entire career's worth of insipid interviews.
                          This....
                          Great post.....
                          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            But still, Hendrix and maybe a couple others like Buddy Guy invented everything Edward ever did besides tapping...so...

Fuck Edward

Good to see someone give props to Buddy Guy. Never cared much for him until I saw him play live back in 2004 when and the guy knocked me right out of my seat. Guy is a phenomenon unto himself: a no frills, balls out traditional blues player that can make a Fender Strat scream like Gisele Bundchen in heat.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Hendrix used to go see Buddy play, who would play behind his back and roll on the floor, so hendrix walked up to him after a show one night and asked to sit in and they developed a friendship after that...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Actually Jimi was a huge fan of Buddy Guy. Their paths crossed many times playin the Chitlin Circuit in the South during the early 60's after Hendrix left the Army.
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...