Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Pathetic... Ed needs to go do a little more history study on Jimi before he opens his trap.

The only significant difference between effects usage was Jimi used a distortion pedal and Ed didn't. Jimi used an octavia... Ed used an Eventide harmonizor. Jimi used a uni-vibe Ed used the harmonizor, delays, phaser and flanger. Jimi used a wah... Oh Ed didn't but now markets one... Bullshit.

Hendrix wrote and produced more albums worth of original material in 3 years than Ed has done in 30.

The whole irony I see with Ed is he "thinks" he's created stuff. Reality... he takes stuff from others who created it and tweeks it. He the ultimate tweeker...

This is ultimately the case with all of his musical gear... nothing created just a bunch of stuff tweeked. Guitar playing isn't much different. None of Ed's tricks were his creation... tons of others did the same before. Ed just tweeked them a bit and now calls them his own.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• hideyoursheep
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ELVIS
      I'm not interested in a 7 string guitar or a 5 string bass...I have enough trouble with 6 and 4...
      I felt the same way until recently.

Well, I'm gonna get me one and see what's doin'...

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Yeah Zah...

""I'm just saying I'm very different than Hendrix because I create stuff."

Hendrix didn't create "stuff" ??

Last edited by ELVIS; 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM. Reason: Who gives a shit ??

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

All I know is the Hendrix Woodstock DVD I caught a while back is as good as anything I've ever seen live rock and roll related...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
            I felt the same way until recently.

Well, I'm gonna get me one and see what's doin'...
            I appreciate the sound of a low B string, but i'd just rather tune down to D or do alternate tunings...

7 strings would confuse me...

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              All I know is the Hendrix Woodstock DVD I caught a while back is as good as anything I've ever seen live rock and roll related...
              I have that, but if you want to see the Experience in their prime, get the Monterey DVD...

There's also a CD version that has way better audio and includes a way heavy version of Can You See Me, which wasn't filmed for some stupid reason...

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Here it is...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bS8NcNnwl9U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bS8NcNnwl9U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I'll bet not many of you have heard this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRISB35KiCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRISB35KiCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Who ever said Noel Redding was not that great on bass can kiss my ass...

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Here's a cool short clip...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/psU3_7w_o28&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/psU3_7w_o28&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Here's an excellent live clip...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9CoB2FrggUQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9CoB2FrggUQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's some good Live Hendrix...

Comment

• degüello
                        Sniper
                        • Mar 2004

Eddie... always saying stupid, goofy shit.
                        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Matt White
                          • Jun 2004

SPeddie is just a dolt....

He's still has the inferiority complex that he had as a 23 year old when they broke.....

"Nobody is as good as me...I'm original...."

Yeah right....

As if they guy hasn' studied the masters....Hendrix, Page, Beck, Blackmore......

Hell...I can't remember the song on AC/DC's '75 Jailbreak...but there's an Angus Young solo on there that has some hammer/pull solo that sounds mysteriously similar to the tapping section in Eruption......

Speddie is an excellent thief...like all great players...he usually hides his influences very well...but we all learn from playing other peoples stuff....

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

This is what happens when you have sycophantic guitar magazine writers blowing smoke up your ass from the time you are twenty one...you start to believe the crap foisted upon you. EVH has been slagging other players ever since the beginning of his career, usually in the same manner. He'll start off by saying "I don't wanna come off bad" or "I mean no disrespect" then proceeds to slam other guitarists while simultaneously taking undeserved credit for everything created under the sun.

And the comments are at times utterly baffling. Referring to Page as playing like a child with two broken fingers, claiming Randy Rhodes "did him to the bone", describing Eric Clapton as a better player when he was on drugs, the man insists on demeaning the achievements of others while exaggerating his own importance. And not all of his muddled thinking revolves around the guitar or other players. Who can forget this bit of utter nonsense offered recently...

"...Dave had slightly different ideas than Alex and I did. That led him to pursue a solo career. You know how the press can be. They turned it into a mudslinging thing that really never occurred. At least not to the extent that was reported. Where it actually started, nobody knows. Probably some journalist who took something out of context."

The fact is, in the twee land of Eddie Van Halen, there is always someone else to blame, someone else who did the deed, someone else to be the fall guy. Look at the long list of former close friends, "soul brothers" and music companies that have been up close and personal with the "EVH Experience". More than anything else, this points to a highly disturbing pattern of behavior with the guy that has existed for years, now.

As a fan, I just wish the jerk would simply grow the fuck up, put out some new music and let his work do the talking for him. For one reason or another, there appears to be more honesty in one of his guitar solos than has come out in an entire career's worth of insipid interviews.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

That pretty much sums it up, Craig.
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                                I don't believe Ed was talking shit at all, he goes out of his way to compliment Jimi....
                                Originally posted by deg&#252;ello
                                Eddie... always saying stupid, goofy shit.
                                I agree with both points. I don't think Ed in anyway meant to disrespect Hendrix. I think he was trying to point out differences and remind people that Jimi, as great as he was, did not invent rock and roll being played on the electric guitar. It's just that Ed is a bit inarticulate, like when he sort of slagged off Jimmy Page in the 80s by saying he was "sloppy" live. He made a bunch of complements about Page and then got called on the one negative thing he said. And I think Ed had a point - I love live Zeppelin and Page was great, but he had his ever increasing off-nights as time went on corresponding with increasing drug and alcohol use...

But yeah, Ed didn't invent virtuosity either and should choose his words more carefully in such interviews...

Comment

Working...